Calvary was one of the first Methodist churches established in Southern Maryland. It was originally called Oakland Church and was part of a seven-point Prince George's Circuit.
The first building was at the present site of Oakland Cemetery, one mile west on Berry Road. When it was decided to build a new church in the town of Waldorf, the land for the church was given in 1898 by Philip and Ella Sasser. The cornerstone for this church, called Calvary, was laid in 1904. The old Oakland Church was sold and torn down in the early 1900's. A few pieces of wood were preserved and made into two small crosses that are now affixed to the choir loft in what is now known as the Old Chapel.
In 1948-49 the sanctuary was remodeled and Sunday School rooms and a fellowship hall were added. The parsonage burned on March 2, 1950, supposedly the windiest day of the year. As a result the present brick parsonage was built. In 1981, ground was broken and construction begun on our present brick church that was dedicated and used for the first time on Easter Sunday, April 11, 1982.
From 1870 to the present, Calvary has had a total of 43 Pastors. Our present pastor, Robert D. Carter, joined us in July, 2005.
We are a family unified in Christ, transformed and empowered by the love of God, guided by the Holy Spirit. Together we spread the Good News and serve God by serving others.
We seek to be a faithful congregation sharing Jesus Christ's love by feeding our neighbors physically, emotionally, and spiritually.